I would like to extend my thanks to Rettie & Co as a whole who I have found to be one of the more professional and efficient letting agents in Edinburgh...Without a doubt I would highly recommend Rettie & Co to others having found this to be an extremely positive experience overall.
A student's guide - the rental process
If you are renting a student flat for the first time, or have not rented a student property through Rettie & Co before, these are the services we offer our student tenants, plus details of the paperwork we require from each tenant and from each tenancy.
If you have any questions, or would like to find out more about renting a student property through Rettie & Co, please get in touch with our team.
Rettie & Co operate a 24 hour emergency helpline so that any emergencies you have after working hours will be responded to no matter what time it is. This will give you peace of mind to know that you do not need to deal with serious problems on your own.
We will also carry out inspections of your property and advise you should we feel there are areas to be addressed, so that you can rectify things before it is too late. We want to be able to refund your full deposit when you vacate, so minimise any risk of deductions by looking after your property and please leave it clean.
Speaking of deposits, we are regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which means your deposit is held in a separate and secure bank account for the duration of your tenancy.
How to rent a student property
Once you and your housemates have all viewed the property you wish to take, and subject to the owner’s approval, we will require the following in order to secure the property for you:
What we require from each tenant
- One form of photographic identification, such as a passport or driver’s licence
- A completed guarantor form which we will give you to fill out and guarantor photographic identification. It is imperative that your guarantor’s signature is witnessed. The witness cannot be a family member. This letter also acts as a next of kin contact, so please ensure that your guarantor’s contact details are correct and written clearly in capital letters
- A written reference from your previous landlord confirming your rent was paid on time and that you kept your room/flat clean and tidy. The reference must be on headed paper with a clearly written name and contact number. This reference can be either from your previous landlord, letting agent, or from your halls of residence
- An email address and mobile number for each tenant
What we require from each tenancy
- A nominated ‘lead tenant’ to be spokesperson for the property
- The first month’s rent on or before the agreed date of entry
- Rent MUST be received in ONE single payment, from the 2nd rental payment onwards. Rettie & Co will issue one standing order mandate to be completed for all future rental payments. Bank details will be required at the time of signing your lease. It would be our recommendation that you open a separate property bank account to pay your rent to us and to cover all other costs such as electricity, gas, etc
If you have any questions, or would like to find out more about renting a student flat in Edinburgh or Glasgow through Rettie & Co, please get in touch with our team.