Castle Gogar, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH12 9BQ

Offers Over £2,900,000

  • 7
  • 6
  • 7


Description

This historical and impressive Scottish castle set in beautiful private grounds of approximately 3.6 acres features extensive accommodation which has been carefully restored while retaining magnificent period features including the vaulted crypt (reception hall), turnpike staircases, turrets with arrow slots and battlements.

Castle Gogar is believed to be designed by the architect William Ayton for John Cowper in circa 1625 as a traditional L-Plan castle. It was owned for over 200 years by the Steel-Maitlands and then restored by the previous owners in 2003.

The Georgian rooms include a magnificent double bow ended first floor drawing room and a beautiful panelled hall and dining room. There are modern features which sympathetically enhance the castle including Ventrola sash and case windows, a modern heating system disguised behind period radiator covers and under floor heating, CAT 5 cabling to all rooms and intelligent lighting to the master bedroom and drawing room. The luxury bathrooms are by Villeroy & Boch and Heritage with the magnificent kitchen and master bedroom by Clive Christian.

Castle Gogar is approached via a long sweeping private driveway with electric gates located off the A8 and only six miles from Edinburgh city centre.

The gardens are varied, mature and full of charm bound by a tree lined wall. There are also four paddocks, a flood lit ménage in addition to three loose boxes and two tack rooms. In addition there are temporary outbuildings which have been created, incorporating a gym and games room as well as timber hay shed.

Energy Efficiency Rating: G

Get directions to this location

Get directions to this location

Get directions to this location

Get directions to this location