Income Protection

Income protection insurance pays a regular income if you are unable to work because of sickness or disability and continues until you return to paid work or you retire.

The amount of income you are allowed to claim will not replace the amount of money you were earning before you had to stop work. Income protection is a monthly benefit that pays up to 75% of your income while you're unable to work and is based on your earnings prior to claim.

It can be particularly beneficial if you’re self-employed and don’t have the benefit of sick pay to fall back on.

How Does Income Protection Work?

What's a Deferred Period?

There’s often a waiting (‘deferred’) period before the policy starts to pay out. The most common deferred periods are 4, 13, 26 weeks and a year and two years. The longer you are able wait, the lower the monthly premiums.

Before deciding on your deferred period, you should first find out what other benefits you are entitled to if you are unable to work.

Some employers, have group income protection insurance in place for employees, always look at your sick pay arrangements in your contract of employment first - this should be aligned with your deferred period as this is when you'll need your cover to kick in - as soon as your income drops, or you end up on Statuary Sick Pay.

What's a Deferred Period?

How Long Does It Last?

How Long Does It Last?

Most income protection insurance policies are short-term as they pay out for a set period, usually up to two years.

Long-term income protection is available too and will provide a regular income for a longer, pre-agreed period or until you are well enough to return to work. Unlike most short-term income protection policies, it will generally not cover you if you are made redundant.

Own occupation definition of incapacity is the most comprehensive you can choose as it will allow you to make a claim if you become too ill or injured to carry out your specific job and its associated tasks.

Suited definition are less comprehensive, may require you to take on a different job role if you’re unable to do your own.

How Much Cover Should I Have?

Depending on the level of savings you have, the loss of an income can soon leave you unable to pay essential household bills. You should think carefully about how much you need each month to get by, so that you don't end up under-insured.

Make sure you consider all your essential monthly outgoings such as your mortgage, food, council tax and utility bills, PCP and any unsecured borrowing.

How Much Cover Should I Have?


Arrange A Free Financial Services Consultation

Book your free financial services consultation today with one of our mortgage advisors.
Call Us 03301 759 977
Visit Us 11 Wemyss Place Edinburgh ED3 6DH

Rettie Financial Services Ltd

Rettie Financial Services Ltd is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Rettie Financial Services Ltd. Registered Office Address: Deuchrie, Dunbar, East Lothian, United Kingdom, EH42 1TG. Registered in Scotland Number: SC711925.

For insurance business we offer products from a choice of insurers.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.