38 Station Road, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 4AL
Dating from the 1890’s, a stone Detached House occupying an elevated site with an outlook, south, directly over the expanses of Colquhoun Park.
Our clients, who acquired the house in the 1990’s, have invested hugely over the years to improve the property both internally and externally. For sale therefore is an exceptionally well equipped, and presented, family home that successfully blends the character of the original house with the benefits that modern contemporary appointments and services provide.
The roof was re-slated, and windows replaced, most in period styled double glazed sash and casement. An internal wall was removed to create that much desired open-plan kitchen/dining/living area (see photos) which augments and alteration by a previous owner where a larger lounge was created by combining two rooms. Fireplaces were installed with a modern, glass fronted log burner, by Stovax, in the dining/living area and with a gorgeous, classically designed, fire surround in solid limestone in the lounge where the polished cast iron fireplace features a living flame coal effect gas fire. Heating is provided by mains gas where the boiler (Worcester Greenstar Highflow 550 CDi ErP combination boiler) was renewed in 2020.
The open-plan kitchen arrangement was created about 6 years ago and as clients will see from our imagery the design includes a large central island with a solid composite work surface, integrated to which is a Franke sink with boiling water tap, a waste disposal unit, an induction hob, and a built-in dishwasher. The designer pendant lights are a cool design touch as are the cream high-gloss kitchen units. The main family bathroom includes a large shower enclosure as does the more recently fitted ground floor shower room, both impressively equipped.
Decoratively the theme is calm with Farrow and Ball paint used throughout, with flooring a mix of carpet, solid cherry wood, Karndean, and LVF. Original detail such as cornice, picture rails, and the Victorian pine panelled doors are retained.
Outside, the garden is on a gradient rising from front to rear. Here our clients made a significant investment to create the winding, block-paved, drive that leads between the large, planted beds, with stone faced retaining walls with lights, to a large parking/turning area to the east side of the house. The work also included the stone steps to the front and rear of the house and the creation of the large stone, and block-paved, south, and west facing sun terrace - a truly lovely spot for spring and summer entertaining/alfresco dining and to enjoy the outlook over Colquhoun Park. This front landscaping includes impressive planting that includes Acers, Magnolia, Himalayan Birch, Flowering Cherry, and grasses. The rear garden is on a slope and is accessed via the stone steps of the “Japanese garden” at the west terrace. It lies to grass and is bounded by fences to the west and south, a hedge to the east and an original brick wall to the north boundary. Trees include Sycamore and Beech.
For those with children the acres of Colquhoun Park, which includes some wildflower and wildlife areas, are a huge playground to enjoy. School catchment is for Bearsden Primary (at Bearsden Cross and only half a mile away) and for the high-performing (currently number 2 ranked State Secondary in Scotland) Bearsden Academy at Courthill. Also in Bearsden is The High School of Glasgow Junior School and St Nicholas’ Primary.
There is much we could detail about the property but fair to say it is a highly impressive traditional home in fine order and with a great and very convenient location. Our imagery will convey how well the house is presented and appointed and our floor plans the arrangement of rooms.
• Entrance Vestibule- with timber storm doors. Original Victorian tile floor.
• Hall - a large (wide and long) reception hall with the original staircase. Understairs cupboard.
• Lounge - originally two rooms. Bay window to the front (south) plus single-framed window to the side (west). At the focal point is the gorgeous limestone fire surround and cast-iron fireplace (supplied by Gibson and Gould).
• Dining/Living Room - this has a box Bay window to the front (the double-glazed windows here are fixed frame) and is open plan to the kitchen. It really is the heart of family living and is a great space. The log burning stove adds a touch of cosy luxury.
• Kitchen - fitted in 2016 and extremely well designed and including the large central island which includes a section of breakfast bar along with plenty of storage cupboards. It features the integrated dishwasher, by Bosch, and the 5-ring induction hob by Siemens. There is the Franke sink, with boiling water tap and waste disposal, and a pop-up “socket tower”. In addition, by Siemens, there is a pyrolytic oven, combination microwave oven, warming drawer, and an integrated fridge-freezer. Window to the east and on this wall a handy, and well designed, wall cabinet.
• Boot Room - off the kitchen and a small extension. Oak back door. High ceiling with laundry pulley and Velux window.
• Utility Room - uPVC double glazed window to the rear. Pale, oak style, shaker units, and dark laminate work surface with stainless steel sink. Space for washing machine and tumble dryer. Boiler here.
• Shower Room - very smartly done with matching floor and wall tiles. Contemporary white suite with a” wet zone” style shower enclosure with a powerful thermostatic shower. Chrome towel radiator (electric).
• Stair - the original staircase has a central carpet runner, with stair roads. It sweeps to an upper hall where there is a loft hatch with loft-ladder.
• Bathroom -the main family bathroom is off the turn of the stair. Featuring a broad dormer bay window (single glazed) it has another contemporary white suite with WC, wash hand basin, bath, and a large shower enclosure with another powerful thermostatic shower. Tiled walls, LVF tiled floor. Chrome towel radiator (operates via the central heating system).
• Bedroom 1 -with a two-frame window to the front (south) with the view over the park.
• Dressing Room-originally a boxroom (with door from the hall) this has been made ensuite to the main bedroom and is fitted with shelves, hanging rails, and drawers.
• Bedroom 2- also facing the front this is another good-sized double bedroom with a two-frame window. Vanity cabinet with wash hand basin.
• Bedroom 3- another double with side (east) window.
• Bedroom 4 - again a double. Used as a TV room. Window to the west side.
Set at the foot of the garden, to the side of the driveway, the garage is a single benefiting from an electric remote controlled garage door by Hormann. It has power, light, and water tap.
Station Rd, as the name suggests, is where Bearsden railway station is. This is about 1/4 mile away and where regular services (four trains per hour at peak times, two trains per hour off-peak) go to Glasgow 's West End and City Centre including a service to Edinburgh. On this section of Station Road overlooking Colquhoun Park, the house very much enjoys the view and facilities this affords. At the top of Station Road is a well-stocked Co-op store with Bearsden Cross, home to a selection of quality retailers including a fishmongers, butchers, Marks and Spencer’s food hall, cafes, restaurants, and a Post Office.
- Late Victorian stone Detached House
- Overlooks expanses of Colquhoun Park
- Impressively modernised.
- 4 double Bedrooms
- Large Lounge (was two rooms)
- Brilliant Kitchen/Dining/Living room (again two rooms combined)
- Bathroom, Shower Room, Utility, Boot Room
- Double glazed (mostly traditional sash and casement)
- Gas CH (three-year-old boiler). Alarm
- Roof re-slated (2009)
- Single Garage (remote controlled door)
- Bearsden Primary & Academy Catchment
This is a particularly fine family home.
EPC : BAND D
COUNCIL TAX : BAND G
TENURE : FREEHOLD
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage. There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend upon your circumstances.
Rettie is one of the most trusted and well-respected names in property. Our unrivalled market knowledge helps people from around the world buy, sell, let and develop property in Scotland and the North East of England - from city apartments and rural cottages to large townhouses and prime country homes, farms and estates. We deal with some of the most prestigious properties on the market, but provide the same exceptional standards of service and value for money to all our clients.