Old Smiddy Cottage, Gartness Road, Drymen, Glasgow, G63 0BH
- Superbly extended and renovated Semi-Detached Cottage
- Original house dates from 19th century
- Imaginative redesign, completed circa 2011, makes for contemporary living.
- Very high standard of finish and spec
- Portico, Vestibule and Reception Hall, Sitting Room, plus excellent Kitchen/Dining/Living
- Three Bedrooms, two with Ensuites
- Main Bathroom and a large Utility Room
- Feature, first floor, Lounge (Bedroom 3)
- Oil central heating including some under floor
- Quality, timber framed double glazed windows and patio doors
- Charming, landscaped, garden with generous drive
- Located on easterly outskirts of Drymen village
- Within The Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National ParkOld Smiddy Cottage dates from the late 19th century and is a Semi-Detached House to the neighbouring cottage, Old Smiddy. They form a small group of six properties on the easterly outskirts of Drymen village, off the A809 Stirling Road. It provides lovely rural aspects to the southeast and southwest and is but a short five-minute stroll, via the western section of Gartness Road, to the village centre.The property was acquired by our clients in 2011. They then commissioned architects to design an extension, and remodelling, of the property, the result of which is the superb home seen here. The design is most considered and very successfully marries the period style of the original building with its far more contemporary addition. We hope that our photographs and video will convey how well everything has been executed but for those genuinely interested, we would strongly recommend viewing. Our floor plans will show the subjects lay-out and the flexibility it has. It can be used as either three or two bedrooms. In total, it provides some 177.23 sq m (1907 sq sq ft) of accommodation over two floors including, as the heart-of-the-home, that all-important open plan dining kitchen. The first-floor lounge (or bedroom 3) is another feature room with its high vaulted ceiling and fine dual aspects, with the ground floor sitting room being a cosy retreat with its Charnwood log burning stove. In addition to the main bathroom, two of the bedrooms have ensuite shower rooms, all finished in contemporary style with quality fitments, including by Villeroy & Boch, Sottini and Hansgrohe.The kitchen is exceptionally well fitted, features a centre island, and includes the appliances as detailed later. The utility room is a very good size and is an extremely useful additional asset. Central heating is oil-fired and features a Grant Vortex Eco 15-21 regular boiler that serves not only radiators (includes towel radiators in the bathroom/shower rooms), but also under floor heating in the hall, bathroom, utility room, and the dining kitchen. Clients will note the use of oak in the house – this includes solid oak flooring (hall, sitting room, dining kitchen, and the property’s fine staircase) and stylish internal doors. All windows, and patio doors, are double glazed and timber framed, finished in an attractive pale teal colour.Given it size (three bedrooms) it is a home that should appeal to families, with Drymen having an excellent village primary school with secondary provision at Balfron High, to which a bus service is provided. It will very much appeal to couples as well and perhaps particularly those looking to downsize for retirement/early retirement, given the facility for, largely, all-on-the-level living, with the principal bedroom being on the ground floor. It truthfully is a home that should find broad appeal.Ground Floor
- Vestibule – with storm doors.
- Hall – a generous reception hall presents and includes a further small inner hall, with window. There are two store cupboards.
- Sitting Room – this has windows to the front (southeast) and to the rear (northwest). It is a cosy room with a wide open doorway access from the hall. Its focal point is the Charnwood wood burning stove and there is a shelved alcove.
- Dining Kitchen – a great space and very much the living area of Old Smiddy Cottage. Very smartly fitted, it has Shaker style units in natural oak and painted taupe. Solid worktops and a similarly finished centre island. Appliances include – induction hob, fan oven, microwave, externally vented cooker hood, built-in dishwasher, free-standing American style fridge/freezer with ice/water dispenser.This room is very bright with its triple aspect – windows and patio doors, to the northeast, southeast and southwest. It includes a large ‘fixed frame’ picture window, a lovely design feature.
- Utility Room – a very good size, the units here are white and in a New England style with dark laminate worktops. Plumbing and space for washing machine and tumble dryer. Boiler located here. Cupboard housing the hot water cylinder.
- Bedroom 1 – the main bedroom is on the ground floor and has two windows (one fixed frame) to the southeast overlooking the garden. There is a run of modern wardrobes along one wall.
- Ensuite Shower Room – very smartly fitted in a contemporary style, it includes a ‘wet zone’ shower area with floor drain and glass shower screen. The shower is thermostatic and features both deluge and hand showerheads. The wash hand basin sits atop a smart walnut vanity unit, to the side of which is a matching toilet cabinet. White towel radiator.
- Bathroom – the main house bathroom is on the ground floor and again, is finished in a contemporary style. In addition to the WC and wash hand basin, there is a free standing oval shaped bath set upon a Wenge cradle. Window to the south west. White towel radiator.First Floor
- The staircase is a feature in the design and is solid oak with open treads, balustrade, handrail and newel posts. It ascends to the upper hall.
- Hall – this has a Velux window to the southwest providing a really lovely view.
- Store – off the hallway, this is a very handy internal store area, with light.
- Lounge (Bedroom 3) – this is a wonderful room with great views, featuring windows to the southwest and to the southeast. It has a high vaulted ceiling, central to which is an oak clad beam.
- Bedroom 2 – this is another bedroom suite and is initially accessed via a small hallway area with a two-frame window to the front facing southeast. The sleeping area is very much in a cottage style with pitched ceiling and features two Velux windows. There is a dressing with fitted wardrobe space with modern sliding wardrobe doors.
- Ensuite Shower Room – modern white suite including a corner shower enclosure with thermostatic shower and wet wall panel. Velux window to the northwest. White towel radiator.FlooringThere is oak flooring in the hall, sitting room, dining kitchen and staircase. Carpet is featured to the upper hall, bedroom 2 and the lounge/bedroom 3. Tiling is fitted to the bathroom, the two ensuite shower rooms and the utility room.
Sat Nav Ref: G63 0bh
EPC : BAND D
COUNCIL TAX : BAND E
TENURE : FREEHOLD
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage. There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend upon your circumstances.
Rettie is one of the most trusted and well-respected names in property. Our unrivalled market knowledge helps people from around the world buy, sell, let and develop property in Scotland and the North East of England - from city apartments and rural cottages to large townhouses and prime country homes, farms and estates. We deal with some of the most prestigious properties on the market, but provide the same exceptional standards of service and value for money to all our clients.