Kellie Lodging, 23 High Street, Pittenweem, Anstruther, KY10 2LA
Wonderful historic A listed turret house with beautiful garden – former town residence of the Earls of Kellie
- Spectacular coastal opportunity, circa 2,680sqft
- Extensive accommodation over four levels
- Sea views from upper floors
- Requiring upgrading and modernisation
- Sought-after location in renowned East Neuk arts festival village
- Delightful large, enclosed rear garden with offroad parking
- Private access from public road to rear
- Dating from circa 1590
- Category A listed with Historic Scotland
Council Tax G
Property Details & Description
Ground Floor: Entrance Hall, Dining Room, Garden Room, Kitchen/Dining Area, Workshop/Hobby Room, Toilet
First Floor: Lounge, Three Bedrooms (one with dressing room and wash hand basin), Bathroom, Toilet.
Second Floor: Three Bedrooms, Bathroom.
Attic Floor: Turret Room.
Delightful extensive enclosed rear garden, with private access and ample off-road parking from public road to rear
With sea views from the upper floors, Kellie Lodging is centrally located in the delightful conservation village of Pittenweem in the heart of Fife’s beautiful and sought after East Neuk coast. The villages of Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail offer a good range of shops, services and amenities as well as some state of the art primary and secondary schools. Pittenweem’s annual arts festival is a very popular event. From Pittenweem there is easy access along the whole of the East Neuk from Largo Bay / Elie to Crail while St. Andrews – the world renowned “Home of Golf” - is less than a twenty-minute drive to the north, with the ancient historic and cosmopolitan town offering an excellent range of facilities along with a highly regarded university. The popular county market town of Cupar is some fourteen miles to the north-west and the city of Dundee within a forty-five-minute drive to the north. Edinburgh is about an hour and twenty minutes to the south.
Surrounding Pittenweem is an area of outstandingly beautiful Fife countryside comprising a wonderful mix of fertile farmland, woodland, hill, stunning coastline and river. The area offers an array of wildlife and for the outdoor enthusiast provides a wide range of recreational pursuits including riding, cycling, walking, sailing and golf with many highly rated courses within easy reach including courses at Anstruther, Crail, Kingsbarns, St. Andrews Bay, Elie, Leven, Ladybank, Lundin Links and the numerous fine courses in and around St. Andrews where the Old Course regularly hosts the British Open – the last visit to St. Andrews was in July 2022 for the event’s one hundred and fiftieth anniversary. Kellie Lodging is well placed for accessing the various pretty fishing villages of Fife’s quaint East Neuk whilst in terms of days out the wide-open spaces of the Lomond Hills are not far away along with a number of popular National Trust for Scotland properties which include Kellie Castle, Hill of Tarvit and Falkland Palace. Fife’s beautiful and varied coastline includes several good sandy beaches such as Kingsbarns, Crail, Tentsmuir, Elie and St. Andrews with access to the popular Fife Coastal Path within easy walking distance of the property.There are railway stations in Leuchars, Cupar, Ladybank, Markinch and Kirkcaldy with Edinburgh airport less than an hour and twenty minutes to the south. The regional airport at Dundee also offers a selection of short-haul flights.
Kellie Lodging presents a spectacular opportunity in a wonderful village location. Category A listed, and believed to date from circa 1590, the property was originally the town house of the Earls of Kellie whose main residence was the nearby Kellie Castle. Externally Kellie Lodging has a charming painted façade with red pantile roof and a wonderful stone turret/tower, complete with traditional crow steps. The generous accommodation (circa 2,680sqft) is over 4 levels and, subject to all relevant permissions and consents, offers great potential and flexibility although is now in need of some modernisation and upgrading. A particular feature of the house is the spectacular spiral staircase in the front turret which provides access to all four floors and leads up to a fairytale turret attic room with sea views.
Delightful extensive enclosed rear garden, with private access from public road to rear
Ample off-road parking to rear
General Remarks & Information
Viewing is strictly by appointment with the selling agents Rettie & Co, 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX. Tel: 01334 237700.
The property’s postcode is KY10 2LA.
Fixtures and Fittings
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price. Certain items of furniture may be available to purchase by way of separate negotiation.
Entry & Possession
Entry and vacant possession will be by mutual agreement and arrangement.
Mains water, electricity, gas and drainage. Oil heating.
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co at 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
Photos September 2023.
Websites and Social Media
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk. In addition, our social media platforms are facebook.com, RettieTownandCountry, twitter.com, Rettie and Co, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Proof and Source of Funds/Anti Money Laundering
Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
rettie & Co, Their Clients And Any Joint Agents Give Notice That
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co. have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.
Request More Details
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage. There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend upon your circumstances.
Rettie is one of the most trusted and well-respected names in property. Our unrivalled market knowledge helps people from around the world buy, sell, let and develop property in Scotland and the North East of England - from city apartments and rural cottages to large townhouses and prime country homes, farms and estates. We deal with some of the most prestigious properties on the market, but provide the same exceptional standards of service and value for money to all our clients.