Troustrie House, Crail, Anstruther, KY10 3XD
Outstanding East Neuk lifestyle opportunity - with magnificent Georgian house, beautiful gardens and grounds, and idyllic views over open fields and countryside towards the Firth of Forth and the Isle of May
Beautiful, refurbished period house, currently run as a successful B&B, offering very well-presented, flexible, high-quality accommodation
Delightful, secluded setting with bright southerly aspect and panoramic countryside / coastal views
Lovely gardens and grounds
Idyllic East Neuk location with easy access to St Andrews and the Fife coastal villages including Crail, Anstruther and Cellardyke
Council Tax G
Property Details & Description
Entrance Hall, Living Room, Dining Room, Studio, Kitchen, Utility, Rear Hall.
Bedroom, Bathroom, Hall.
Three Bedrooms, all with En-Suite Bath/Shower Rooms, Utility Area, Hall.
Delightful gardens and grounds
Timber garage and timber shed
Troustrie enjoys a beautiful, idyllic country setting, enjoying some quite magnificent views out over the Firth of Forth and very quietly situated, roughly midway, and a short distance inland from, the popular East Neuk villages of Crail and Anstruther / Cellardyke, accessed off the very quiet B9171, just a mile or so from the main A917 which connects St Andrews and Crail. The position of the house is breath-taking and the southerly views out over the Firth of Forth and along the Fife coastline, are quite outstanding. Troustrie is located in the East Neuk of Fife - a wonderful, sought-after corner of the county, running from Largo Bay all the way to St Andrews, comprising quaint fishing villages perched around pretty harbours, amazing beaches and fertile farmland. The villages of Crail and Anstruther between provide for all key amenities, including primary and secondary schooling, post offices, local shops, supermarkets, pubs and hotels. Kingsbarns, Pittenweem, St Monans and Elie are also all nearby, dotted along Fife’s glorious coastline. The ancient historic cosmopolitan town of St Andrews is about a 20-minute drive to the north and offers an excellent range of facilities along with the highly regarded university. St Andrews is known worldwide as the “Home of Golf” and the 150th British Open visited in July 2022. About 18 miles to the north-west is Cupar, Fife’s bustling county market town which also provides a good range of services. Dundee is within a 45-minute drive to the north with Edinburgh about an hour and 20 minutes to the south.
Surrounding Troustrie is an area of outstanding Fife countryside comprising a lovely mix of fertile farmland, woodland, hill, stunning coastline and river. The result is home to an array of wildlife and for the outdoor enthusiast provides an area offering access to a wide range of recreational pursuits including riding, cycling, walking, sailing and golf. There are many highly rated golf courses within easy reach including the renowned courses at Crail itself, Kingsbarns, St Andrews Bay, Elie, Leven, Lundin Links and the numerous fine courses in and around St Andrews. The popular Fife coastal path runs through the local villages. Shooting and fishing may be taken locally and there are some fine pheasant shoots nearby. Crail is well placed for accessing the various other pretty fishing villages of Fife’s quaint East Neuk whilst in terms of days out the wide-open spaces of the Lomond Hills are not far away along with a number of popular National Trust for Scotland properties, notably Kellie Castle, Hill of Tarvit and Falkland Palace. Fife’s beautiful and varied coastline includes several good sandy beaches such as those at Tentsmuir, Kingsbarns, Elie and St Andrews. State schooling is available locally with private schooling being provided at St Leonards in St Andrews. There are railway stations at Cupar, Ladybank, Markinch and Kirkcaldy with Edinburgh airport less than an hour and 20 minutes to the south.
Standing on its own at the end a private track, and with the most wonderful southerly coastal aspect, Troustrie presents a stunning rarely available lifestyle opportunity in an iconic East Neuk location. Centred around a fantastic refurbished Georgian house the property also includes delightful gardens and grounds.
Dating from the early 1800’s, the house has an impressive stone façade under a slate roof and offers beautiful, upgraded period accommodation over three levels. The house is currently operated as a successful B&B with the flexible accommodation presently configured with the stunning main living room at ground floor level, along with delightful well-proportioned formal dining room, studio / family room, good-sized kitchen / breakfast room, most impressive main hall, rear hall and utility room completing the accommodation at this level. A beautiful old stair case provides access to the upper floors with a charming bedroom, family bathroom and hall at mezzanine level, and three excellent double bedrooms at first floor level, all with ensuite facilities, along with hall and utility area. There is a fixed stair leading up to the large attic. There are wood burning stoves in both the living room and dining room, and an oil-fired Aga in the kitchen.
The generous gardens and grounds at Troustrie are an absolute delight and comprise a lovely enclosed main garden to the front of the house with gravel drive, neat lawn, timber shed and borders – and the most amazing southerly outlook – whilst to the east is an area of wild garden and grassland edged with fruit trees.
There is ample parking to the rear of the house.
General Remarks & Information
Viewing is strictly by appointment with the selling agents Rettie & Co, 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX. Tel: 01334 237700.
The property’s postcode is KY10 3XD.
Fixtures and Fittings
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Entry & Possession
Entry and vacant possession will be by mutual agreement and arrangement.
Mains electricity, mains water, private drainage, oil fired central heating.
Fife Council, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife KY7 5LT
A Home Report incorporating a Single Survey, Energy Performance Certificate and Property Questionnaire is available for parties genuinely interested in this property. Please contact us, either by telephone or via the website entry for this property, to request a copy. No charge is made for electronic copies; a paper copy can also be made available from our offices or by post, at a charge of £20 to cover reproduction and administrative costs.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co at 28 Bell Street, St Andrews KY16 9UX.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Particulars and Plans
These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
The photographs in this brochure date from early June 2023
Websites and Social Media
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.rightmove.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com and www.thelondonoffice.co.uk. In addition, our social media platforms are facebook.com, RettieTownandCountry, twitter.com, RettieandCo, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Proof and Source of Funds/Anti Money Laundering
Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Rettie & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he has satisfied himself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or misstatement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Rettie & Co, Their Clients And Any Joint Agents Give Notice That
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co. have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.
Request More Details
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage. There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend upon your circumstances.
Rettie is one of the most trusted and well-respected names in property. Our unrivalled market knowledge helps people from around the world buy, sell, let and develop property in Scotland and the North East of England - from city apartments and rural cottages to large townhouses and prime country homes, farms and estates. We deal with some of the most prestigious properties on the market, but provide the same exceptional standards of service and value for money to all our clients.